Friday 17 March 2023

Rest In Peace, KK12FM 89.5.

 

On 3rd March 2023, KK12FM 89.5 announced that the radio station already signed out. It meant KK12FM 89.5 would cease its broadcast, and 1st March 2023 was the last day of KK12FM 89.5 in the Kota Kinabalu airwave.

 

KK12FM 89.5 was the Sabah only English and Sabahan Malay radio station which broadcasted in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah. It was launched on 17th April 2017. I knew this radio station in 2017 when my friend shared with me about KK12FM. Usually I followed its social media platform by watching their videos mostly, while online streaming platform was not available.

 

Sadly I could not listen to KK12FM 89.5 digitally when I'm based in Peninsular Malaysia because it was not available of online streaming platform.

 

Lack of digital listening platform was part of the reason why KK12FM 89.5 closed down, it was an unfortunate thing actually. If KK12FM 89.5 had digital listening platform, the listeners could tune to this radio station outside Kota Kinabalu.

 

Back to November 2019, when I worked in radio broadcast transmission system company, coincidentally I had a project in Lawas, Sarawak, I went to Lawas via Kota Kinabalu with my collate and Australian boss. 

 

When I landed in Kota Kinabalu International Airport, I listened to KK12FM 89.5 all the way from Kota Kinabalu to Beaufort via radio platform. This radio station playlist was more variety than those mainstream English radio stations (such as Hxxx, Mxx, Fxx FM) and radio content was better than other Sabah radio stations.

 

When I was back from Lawas to Kota Kinabalu after completing my project, I also listened to this radio station. It had rock music segment in the afternoon. KK12FM 89.5 was the Sabah only English radio station, I feel sad to hear this radio station was ceased operation.

 

Note: The frequency license of KK12FM 89.5 was already returned to MCMC.

 

In memory of KK12FM 89.5, I would like to present my radio signal monitoring of this radio station where I tuned outside Kota Kinabalu during the journey to Lawas, Sarawak in November 2019.

Before I went back to Kuala Lumpur while I was waiting the departure flight, I listened to KK12FM 89.5 at Kota Kinabalu International Airport.

 

In July 2020, I also spotted a Japanese radio monitoring amateur tuned KK12FM 89.5 in Japan via YouTube which is very freak one.

 

To KK12FM 89.5, thanks for entertaining the Sabah listeners during these 6 years, you will be missed. I'm based in Peninsular Malaysia, but I also would like to thank to KK12FM 89.5 for entertaining me when I was having a very short stay in Sabah.

 

Rest in peace, KK12FM 89.5. (17th April 2017-1st March 2023)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment