Thursday 7 October 2021

FM Sporadic E DX in Malaysia (Episode 1): MCOT Chaiyaphum FM 102.0MHz from Thailand is received in Puchong, Selangor, Malaysia via Sporadic-E propagation. It is the furthest FM radio station that I received ever today.

 

It is an very impressive Thursday to me today for FM DXing. This is because I suddenly receive about three Thailand FM radio stations in Puchong, Selangor, Malaysia via Sporadic-E propagation. 

 

When I'm going back from office to home after working hours, I attempt to receive Era FM 102.0MHz from Changkat Rembian (Tapah) and THR Raaga FM 102.1MHz from Bukit Larut (Taiping) while I'm stuck in traffic jam around Bandar Puteri area, Puchong at LDP (Lebuhraya Damansara Puchong) highway, nothing signal are detected from Era FM 102.0MHz or Raaga FM 102.1MHz, but surprisingly I receive Thailand radio station on FM 102.0MHz. Hence, I continue to monitor the signal.

 

FM 102.0MHz is quite noisy because there are co-channel interference between 3 Thailand radio stations. Few seconds later, I heard a Thailand radio DJ mentions the station name, MCOT Chaiyaphum. I take opportunity to record a video as a proof.

 

When I reach home, I search any MCOT Radio who occupies FM 102.0MHz, the search shows Chaiyaphum and Surat Thani, so I verify that FM 102.0MHz is from Chaiyaphum, Thailand. 


I break my FM DXing record today after 1 year hiatus, MCOT Radio Chaiyaphum FM 102.0MHz now becomes the furthest radio station which I receive in Puchong, and also the entire locations in Malaysia. Previously I received Al-Falah Radio FM 93.8MHz from Sigli, Aceh Province, Indonesia in Kuala Kedah with 486km distance, now I achieve the distance with 1422km.

* Station name: MCOT Chaiyaphum

* Frequency: FM 102.0MHz

* Power: 1kW

* Transmitter site: Tambon Nai Muang, Mueang Chaiyaphum District, Chaiyaphum Province, Thailand

* Receiving site: Puchong, Selangor, Malaysia (LDP highway around Puchong Perdana)

* Distance: 1422km

* Receiving date/time: 07.10.2021 1813H (UTC+8)

 

Co-channel interference with another two Thailand radio stations is also detected when I monitor MCOT Radio Chaiyaphum FM 102.0MHz, I personally suspect another two stations are likely from Surat Thani and Trang, but I cannot identify accurately because co-channel interference by two stations are very rapidly disappeared when the car is moving.

 

For your information, Chaiyaphum Province is located in Central Northeastern Thailand. Honestly I never manage to receive any radio stations from that province in Malaysia through MW band, but suddenly I get it on FM band. In addition, it is also my first time to receive Thailand Parliament Radio Station FM 87.5MHz from Bangkok in Malaysia. Before this, I usually receive Thailand FM radio stations from southern region (Nakhon Si Thammarat, Phuket, Trang, Phatthalung, Satun, Songkhla, Yala, and Betong) in Northern Malaysia bordering region such as Perak, Kedah, Langkawi and Penang.

 

Alongside MCOT Radio Chaiyaphum FM 102.0MHz, I also receive Parliament Radio FM 87.5MHz from Bangkok in Puchong, Selangor, Malaysia (1207km distance), also an unknown Thailand radio station on FM 92.0MHz in same location. Both are received through Sporadic-E propagation.

 

Note: Unknown Thailand radio station on FM 92.0MHz via Sporadic-E is not Radio Thailand Yala because Radio Thailand Yala broadcasts talk program from 5pm to 6pm (Thailand time UTC+7)/6pm to 7pm (Malaysia time UTC+8), meanwhile FM 92.0MHz which I receive in Puchong is playing Thailand country music (Lukthung) or oldies. 

 

The Sporadic-E signal from Thailand is quickly disappeared after Puchong Selatan toll while heading to Putrajaya. 

 

I feel very excited today because I successfully receive 3 Thailand radio stations on FM 87.5MHz, FM 92.0MHz and the furthest FM 102.0MHz in Puchong, Malaysia.

No comments:

Post a Comment